Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Recovering from Strep and the Flu

Our whole family managed to get a nasty bug that was going around. Personally, I fell to bloody strep throat and the flu. Over a week of sore throats, blood, fever, nausea, and diarrhea. It’s bad enough with one, but with each additional person, it seems to be multiplied by a factor of ten. Oh, and the kitty decided to have diarrhea too. So the house is a wreck right now. But I wanted to share some recipes that we found very helpful during this time. I have several posts that I was laboring over while I was sick and resting. I’m polishing them up, and I’ll start sharing soon.

 But first…. An old fashioned recipe from my great great grandmother to cure or lessen severe sore throats. Boil a pot of water, mix one cup with one tablespoon of sea salt, and gargle as hot as you can stand.

 I hate this process. It burns and tastes awful. I actually made the switch to sea salt since my mom, grandma, and great grandmas all used regular table salt. I think that it’s better for you this way. But as Dej can attest, it’s not a good idea to gargle with unsanitized salt water.

Another old home remedy that I could not keep down because of the nausea but that helped my sweetheart is to boil hot water, mix in two tablespoons of honey, and a tablespoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar. It’s really important that the vinegar has the mother in it or else it’s not going to be as effective. But my all time favorite is the classic black tea boiled for ten minutes with a teaspoon of honey mixed in. It soothes the throat and calms the mind.

My sweetheart was kind enough to keep the little ones occupied when I was under weather and they were all getting better. It was nice to be able to relax. I hope that you all are staying health in this time. It’s not fun living with bad germs, but it’s hard to avoid it. Even with good clean green living.

No comments:

Post a Comment